ABOUT THE AD HOC GROUP
The Ad Hoc Group, Inc. (AHG) is an advisory firm that helps startups and investors successfully grow climate tech businesses in complex, regulated markets. We are experts at the intersection of policy and business and we’re on a mission to help scale the technology businesses the world needs to fight and adapt to climate change. We’ve helped companies like Dandelion, Octopus Energy, Charm Industrial, Google Nest, ev.energy, Pano, Stripe Climate, Impulse and many more shape their market and accelerate growth.
AHG is a team of advisors and consultants with a wide range of professional backgrounds who are deeply passionate about solving the climate crisis and our work to support climate tech companies. This commitment is at the root of our values. We put in the work required to empathize with startups, advocates, investors, regulators, customers, and other stakeholders in the climate tech community. We build authentic, long-term relationships rooted in human connections and a belief that a community is more powerful than a network. We challenge ourselves and our clients on where and how to drive more equitable outcomes, both within our organizations and in the market. You can read more about our values and company culture here.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Senior Associate position will be responsible for collaborating with AHG team members to provide policy, business development, go-to-market, and fundraising support to AHG’s clients to help them seize opportunities and overcome obstacles to their successful growth. This is the perfect role for a climate, energy, and/or sustainability professional who wants to use their knowledge and network to help entrepreneurs transform markets and scale new technology solutions. The ideal candidate has a proven background working in climate and/or energy, can go deep into the policy, regulatory, and market weeds, and is also an effective networker and advocate with strong political and business instincts.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Become an expert in the policy, regulation, and markets that will shape a sustainable future from building and industrial decarbonization to electrified mobility to resiliency.
- Build relationships with AHG’s clients who include startup founders, VC partners, and corporate leaders
- Take on account planning and workflow management to put points on the board for relevant AHG clients
- Support AHG’s clients externally and advance their interests with key stakeholders as if you’re an extension of their full-time teams.
- Craft thoughtful, detailed written memos and presentations to advance business outcomes for AHG’s clients, including comments and testimony before state public utility commissions and other federal, state and municipal regulatory bodies
- Lead policy and regulatory research and analysis to support go-to-market, regulatory, and business development strategies for our clients
- Leverage your expertise and network to help our clients develop and execute the right policy and go-to-market strategies to advance their business goals
- Deliver business results for AHG’s clients, including closing deals and affecting regulatory outcomes
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ of experience in climate or energy policy, including work with startups, consulting, and/or government with a preference for a diversity of experiences.
- BA required. MPP, MBA or related Masters strongly preferred
- Excellent research, writing, communication, and analytical skills
- Expertise in one or more climate-related segments.
- Experience navigating state energy regulation, wholesale energy markets, carbon removal policy, or related topics.
- An agile networker and advocate who develops trusted relationships
- Adept at working in a fast-paced environment with frequent context switching
- A strong desire for ownership and accountability
- Passion for climate tech and energy
- A critical and empathetic thinker with an understanding of the complexities of climate policy and energy justice issues
Flexible with Chicago preference or another hub city - we are a hybrid/remote firm with offices in four hub cities: Washington DC, Chicago, San Francisco and New York. Candidates not in those cities will also be considered. Up to 15% travel expected.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Base salary range of $115,000 to $160,000 commensurate with skills, experience, and qualifications. We determine pay based on experience, geography, internal equity, and any other factors related to the job. Starting pay for this role is typically between $115,000 and $135,000. This position is eligible for an annual bonus (10%+) and participation in the company’s Equity Incentive Plan, which provides employees an opportunity to share in the future growth and success of AHG and its clients. AHG provides our employees with competitive benefits including a 401k plan with an automatic 3% employer contribution, group medical, dental, and vision coverage, an annual professional development benefit, and a flexible PTO policy.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter through the Ad Hoc Group’s on-line portal. Indicate the position to which you are applying.
Interview process and timeline:
Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.
Interviews will take place in January and early February.
Finalists will be asked to complete and present a short homework assignment.
We anticipate extending an offer in late February or early March.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are not only company values but are essential for our success and that of our clients. The Ad Hoc Group is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives. AHG recognizes that climate change disproportionately affects people from historically marginalized backgrounds and that the solution to the climate crisis requires the leadership and inclusion of those most impacted. Our company is committed to building an inclusive and respectful culture, and we strive to build a firm that reflects the populations that our work serves. We highly encourage applications from people of color, women, and people from other backgrounds historically underrepresented in the climate tech community. If you need reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is an at-will role and this job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the incumbent may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job.